Friday, November 4, 2011

Breakdown Lane

I had an appt this morning south of us. This meant I had to drive down I-95 during rush hour. I was overly prepared and gave myself tons of time. Well, going south on I-95 was not bad at all, thankfully!  On the way home obviously I had to go north (still during 'rush hour'). Going north had what I would call a pretty significant amount of cars... :)

So merging onto the highway was kind of weird. Cars seemed to be a lot closer to me, but I merged on and didn't think much about it. As I'm driving along I start seeing cars passing me in the break down lane. What in the world? Why are all these people being illegal?! I thought, well maybe they're just being illegal for a little bit until their exit ramp comes up.  Nope, no one got off the exit.

I started paying more attention and looked ahead - ok, the breakdown lane was just as packed as the other 3 lanes. An example pic (albeit much less crowded) of what I was seeing. Sooo weird!

A little further down there was actually a sign (similar to below) saying you could drive in the breakdown lane between 6am-10am and 3pm-7pm from Monday-Friday.
 
It's kind of a clever idea for Mass to try to handle the insane amount of cars during rush hour! Although be forewarned, this doesn't happen on all highways or even in all spots of highways... so don't read this post and think when you visit us in Mass you can just drive in the breakdown lane all day long. :)

I don't know if this is really something that could be used in MI. I mean it would be useful, but I don't think MI drivers could handle it. I know I was too afraid to drive in it. haha  Plus it would need to be clean... no random tire pieces or junk, etc.


Boston Tip of the Day: Bostonians feel Detroit is being ridiculous about Thanksgiving Day.  Let me explain a little bit.... while slowly driving in rush hour the radio peeps brought up how Nickelback was going to sing at halftime at the Detroit Lions game on Thanksgiving Day. They then noted that people in Detroit are all pissed and want a talented person from Detroit to perform.  This is when the radio guy brings up that Detroit needs to just calm down, not worry about hearing the only Detroit artists, Kid Rock or Eminem, and stop shooting your residents.  Ok, the shooting residents was a little ridiculous, but I couldn't stop laughing!!! Hearing another state talking about my Detroit was so hilarious to me... I felt like 'I know Detroit, we aren't all crazy there!'   Wow, long explanation for my tip of the day- whoops :)

3 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of a "breakdown lane" before. Us people over here in Detroit call it a shoulder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....breakdown lane, wow, you've changed. So what happens if there is a car broke down in the so called "breakdown lane", aka shoulder? Or are you not allowed to breakdown during those hours?

    You know what I call a shoulder you can drive on? A LANE!!! ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I've changed so much that today I decided to drive on the shoulder (breakdown lane hehe)! and actually, I was kind of freaked out to drive on in for a couple miles!!

    ReplyDelete